kkvictorylap

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Getting Used to 24 hours of Daylight or Life in Sweden in the Summer!


This is what is looks like outside my room at 11:46 pm.  Even though the sun has set, it never really gets dark.  Then, the sun rises again at 3:30 in the morning.  I sleep in periods...never straight through the night.  It is very odd.  

 Here is a picture taken at 4:04 am about 20 minutes after sunrise!



Here is a time table of the months of sun and darkness.  I am glad I'm here during the 'sun does not set' period.  I don't think I could handle only 5-6 hours of daylight! 


I love to learn new things, whether it is about a country or in the kitchen.  Martin is an excellent cook, as I have said.  One evening, he asked me to go to a pot of herbs and get 'salvia'.  I said "Salvia is a flower".  He said, "No, it is a herb (pronouncing the 'h').  I showed him on my iPhone what Salvia looks like.  He took me outside and picked some leaves. I smelled them and they were sage!  Very cool!

Also, he pulled out this strange looking root-like thing and I asked what it was and he said, "Celery".  I looked it up and in English it is Celeriac or root celery.  It is not the root of our celery, as the base of the stalk is the root, but a different critter all together.

Celeriac or root celery

Ambra is not allowed in the kitchen, but she knows she can get away with one foot inside the door....cracks me up...here is Ambra and Alisha loving on her!.  She is an amazing dog, very talented and very smart.  She always wants to play catch with whatever she can find.  Her favorite is an old deflated soccer ball.


Here is a great picture of my co-worker, Marion from Switzerland.  She did not catch this Salmon, but had her picture made with it!


There is a gigantic rock on the road to the campground from my cabin.  


It it just my imagination, or does it look like a Razorback!

Just sayin'

Also, I love this sign warning of a speed device.....

I know some people who could use a good Fart-hinder!  

The kids got out of school on Friday the 10th and in the evening there was a county wide fair in Söderhamn for the end of school.  Heike and Martin were working in the restaurant, so Marion and I took the kids.  It would have been awesome if it hadn't rained off and on and if the temperature had been warmer than 50😬  Here are some pics from the fair....



 Cotton Candy; Erik, Texas (yes), a friend, Alisha and Enno

 Children's ride?

 Cutie Pie

 Enno on the inflatable ride

Kids in the Bubble Blizzard

Erik and Enno dueling for possession of the bar

It was kind of a lazy weekend.  There was not much business in the cabins or restaurant, so I read a lot and enjoyed sitting by the river.  High season at the campground starts about the 3rd week of June.  There are two more people from Workaway coming in a week or so.  It will be nice to have more help when it gets busy.

I am learning what to do and what not to do in a commercial kitchen.  It really is an awesome experience to see gourmet meals cranked out quickly with fresh food!  The dishwasher runs for 90 seconds!!!  

Heike fixed us a wonderful lunch on Sunday; salmon with feta cheese, capers, tomatoes and onions and potatoes with thyme.  I made slaw for us with homemade mayonnaise because they didn't have any.  We had a fresh strawberry torte for dessert.  Yummy!











No comments:

Post a Comment