kkvictorylap

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Cornwall, England


My home for the week in Cornwall is in Bodellan Farmhouse Airbnb in Porthcurno, Penzance.  My hostess is Sam.  Just driving into Cornwall and Porthcurno was breathtaking.  The roads off the main highway are so narrow that two vehicles literally cannot pass at the same time, one has to stop and pull as far over as possible so the other can get by.  Of course, I am the one that stops and the other cars go whizzing by.  OMG.....I.do.not.like.this.
On my way to Porthcurno, I stopped at a town called Launceston, which is the historical capital of Cornwall.  I had lunch there and here are some of my pics:


L:  view of the sea from main highway

R:  entry to Launceston
Below: 1 and 2 shops in Launceston 


L:  Lunch spot in Launceston

R:  Lunch counter 
Delicious chicken and mushroom pie

Didn't have ice cream here, but I will while I'm in Cornwall

Day 2:  I went exploring in the tiny village of Porthcurno and the surrounding beach...breathtaking views!

L:  Bodellan Farmhouse B&B

R:  Porthcurno Beach
Porthcurno Coastline 



At the top of the coastline is this concrete formation.  It is called a "pill box" and was built during World War II during fear of German invasion. There are 5 peepholes for guns!

Today, Wednesday, I went to Land's End, St. Ives, Penzance and Lizard!!
Land's End is exactly what it is called....the end of the Land of Cornwall.
I made a video at the tip of Land's End................

After I went to the end of Cornwall, I went to the coast opposite Porthcurno where I am staying to St. Ives.....again, beautiful views everywhere you look!
St. Ives Bay

Next I went to Penzance (to see the Pirates of course).  I didn't see any Pirates and as the views go, it was okay, but not as beautiful as so many of the others. I was however, able to get some Pirates of Penzance tee shirts for my two  youngest grandsons!  Near Penzance is a place called Chysauster Ancient Village and I walked up a long, steep, hill to see this amazing site.  Chysauster is a settlement from the Iron Age and was originally occupied almost 2,000 years ago.  It is made up of stone-walled homesteads called courtyard houses found only on the Land's End peninsula and the Isles of Scilly.


Chysauster Village (Wikipedia)

Onward to Lizard Point and Kynance Cove.........Can you handle more sea photos?
Kynance Cove 
Lizard Point

Okay, enough seacoast pictures for now....I am going to a few other places tomorrow so I can't promise I won't take more pics.......

No comments:

Post a Comment